Living in the tropics, weather tends to be hot with high emission of UV rays ! Protection against harsh UV rays should be of paramount important to everyone as the sun’s ultraviolet b (UVB) rays causes sunburn and ultraviolet a (UVA) rays lead to photo-aging and skin cancer! Therefore when it comes to maintaining healthy skin health and prevention of skin cancer, it is important to take a proactive step and keep an eye for dangerous moles as it can be linked to skin cancer (especially detection of melanoma – the deadliest type of skin cancer).
Beside keeping an eye on moles, it is important to limit exposure to sunlight and incorporate the correct use of sunscreen daily. In this sunny island with humid weather, it is also important to use a sunscreen that is light and non-greasy to prevent clogging our pores…
In April, i attended an event to revolutionize my relationship with sunscreen conducted by Dr Jean Ho and the La Roche-Posay team..
The team also introduced one newly launched product – Dry Touch Gel-Cream SPF 50+ that has ultra-dry finish and can be absorbed by skin immediately without greasiness and stickiness.
During the presentation by Dr Jean, I paid full attention so that i can share some important facts / tips with my readers… Dr Jean Ho is a dermatologists with more than 10 years of medical experience. She is dedicated to providing quality care in the treatment of disorders affecting skin, hair and nails. Her areas of interest are Paediatric Dermatology and Laser Surgery. Her area of expertise include eczema, Birthmarks, pimples and pigmentation.
Disclaimer: Do note that the useful tips / Information are from Dr Jean’s slides…
Exposure to sun can be a double-edged sword as the sun is essential for life, provides warmth and has an anti depressive role. Moreover, with 10 mins ultraviolet b (UVB) exposure, it will promote Synthesis of Vit D3 within our body. This “sunshine Vitamin” is essential to improve bones’ health and maintain the body’s immunity against disorders.
One fact FYI – The sun will emit 2 types of UVR (UV rays) which are known as ultraviolet b (UVB) & ultraviolet a (UVA).
However, all things must be in moderate as the sun’s UVB rays causes sunburn (as it attack the epidermis layer of the skin) and UVA rays lead to photo-aging and skin cancer. As the picture has suggested, UVA can reach deep into the dermis layer and it will eliminate collagen, elastin and DNA (thus leading to skin issues such as photo-aging and skin cancer).
More facts about UVA
– UVB and UVA are 24/7 and all year-long (winters included)!
– UVA rays are persistent even as the sun sets. UVB is the strongest between 10am and 4pm especially around midday whereas UVA follows the variation of visible light.
– You cannot feel UVA rays on your skin and UVA rays are not filtered by clouds and glass
This is the reason why you will need a sunscreen as it will prevent them from posing harm to your skin as it penetrates deep into the skin layers. The function of a broad-spectrum sunscreen is to shelter your skin by absorbing these dangerous ray. It is also very important to use the sunscreen correctly as research has shown that an average woman uses only 1/4 of recommended dose (SPF 3)..
Tips for effective use of sunblock includes:
1) Apply 20 mins before, using sufficient quantity eg 1 FTU (5g) for face, 2FTU for face and neck
2) Reapply every 2-4 hours
3) Pay attention to expiry date,
La Roche-Posay – you might have seen this brand in leading pharmacy but if you have not, i will be glad to explain more..
For more than 30 years, La Roche-Posay has worked with dermatologists worldwide to invent skincare and make-up products that meet the needs and requirements of sensitive skin. Its products contain a signature dermatological active ingredients – La Roche-Posay thermal spring water. Using its expertise, a Roche-Posay Laboratories have always made skin cancer prevention their priority since 90% of skin cancer detected in time are curable. For over 15 years, La Roche-Posay has been at the forefront in advanced UV protection research. To create awareness, the brand has pursued this commitment alongside over 25,000 dermatologists worldwide at free screening events such as Melanoma days (Already 10 years and going). Till date. more than 70000 patients are examined each year in 22 county and in 2009, 3900 cancerous lesions were diagnosed.
In 2009, the laboratories took the initiatives even further with the launch of Myskincheck.org to allow you to evaluate your risk and self monitor (keep track of changes in moles) throughout the year and keep you educated on right sun safety habits.
For sun-protection on a daily basis, La Roche-Rosay offers a wide range of sunscreen for both face and the body to protect against sun-related risks… Known as the Anthelios (the La Roche-Posay suncare brand) – La Roche Rosay discovered this advanced patented sunscreen technologies in revolutionary textures. Anthelios is trusted and recognized by dermatologists and many worldwide as a trusted provider in formulating suncare products with UVA & UVB protection. Anthelios has been put to the test in Brazil whereby the climate is intensively sunny and humidity is high. Anthelios has been deemed to be non-oily, non-sticky and ultra-matt which feels comfortable on skin.
Anthelios is also the pioneer in UVA protection made specially for very sensitive skin. Anthelios sunscreen combines an effective and patented UV filtering system Mexoplex with optimal tolerance. The two-fold demands for photo-protection and tolerance are backed up by many large-scale clinical studies.
Some Anthelios products for the face includes:
Melt-in Cream (50+/ 50+ tinted)
– Ultra-light texture, moisturizing and very high water resistance. Suitable for Dry skin.
– Non-oily, non-sticky finish
– Very high, broad, photostable UVA/UVB protection
– Patented filtering system Mexoplex® combined with La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water, soothing and antioxidant.
– Fragrance-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic.
Retails at $38.90
Extreme Fluid (50+/50+ tinted/30AC)
– Very high, broad, photostable UVA/UVB protection.
– Patented filtering system Mexoplex® combined with La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water, soothing and antioxidant.
– Dermatologically-tested, Fragrance-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic.
– Fluid in texture and non-greasy which makes it suitable for normal to combination skin.
– Water resistance.
Retails at $39.90 – $49.90
In 2013, there’s a sunscreen with ground-breaking texture which will provide users with the most innovative, top-notch quality and senatorial experiences. Introducing the Dry Touch Gel-Cream SPF 50+ which will further improve patient compliance and effectively prevent UV damage.
Dry Touch Gel-Cream (50+) is a breakthrough sunscreen that will provide users with a “dry touch” effect and the formula can be instantly absorbed by skin, leaving no shine or white streaks. Containing exclusive combination of 3 powders – Perkite, Silica, Corn Starch, the Gel-cream’s soft velvety texture will be instantly absorbed, leaving an ultra-dry, ultra-matte finish. This makes re-application a breeze!
The DRY TOUCH formula is carefully created, element by element, to achieve its groundbreaking dry touch effect:
> An innovative sugar-derived polymer ensures the formula’s imperceptible finish. It forms the “formula skeleton” into which further ingredients are integrated.
> An ingenious blend of anti-shine powders guarantees an ultra-dry finish. Perlite offers a blotting effect. Silica neutralizes sebum. Corn starch for a soft feel.
> An efficacy-boosting polymer with anti-slip properties to slow the texture’s glide on skin, for an instant absorption sensation.
> Zinc Gluconate, the reference anti-sebum active ingredient in dermatology
Like the rest of the ANTHELIOS sunscreen, the Dry touch gel is also suitable for sensitive or sun allergy-prone skin.
Again, like the rest of the product, La Roche-Posay Laboratories are extremely strict when it comes to sun protection and sensitity tolerance. This is why the ANTHELIOS DRY TOUCH GEL-CREAM SPF 50+ is empowered with the patented Mexoplex® filtering system, which guarantees very high UVA-UVB protection and offers optimal tolerance for sensitive or sun allergy-prone skin.
> SPF 50+ confers very high protection against sunburn, caused primarily by UVB rays.
> UVA protection is reinforced with PPD 31, to combat UVA rays, the main cause of sun intolerance and premature aging.
Dr Jean mentioned that the perfect Sunscreen should have these characteristics:
1) Cosmetically acceptable
2) Light textured
3) Water and Sweat resistant
4) Long lasting
Will put La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Dry Touch Gel-Cream to the test to see if it met all the criteria above… I went to Malacca 2 months back and the climate is hotter and more humid to Singapore.. Decided to bring the Dry Touch Gel-Cream along since it was the best timing for me to test it..
The Good and the Bad:
1) Unscented so there’s no fragrance that will irritate my sensitive skin. In addition, it is Paraben-free and non-comedogenic.
2) It has light creamy gel texture (while will turn powdery) and it blends easily without leaving any white cast behind… However, you have to blend fast to prevent streaks as the gel-cream gets absorbed into the skin swiftly. The gel-cream will turn powdery upon blending and it settles on the skin very fast (without weighing it down) while leaving a matt + velvety finish (No shines & No stickiness! Only smooth and dry finish!)
3) It is cosmetically acceptable as the sunscreen seems to brighten up my skintone while giving my skin a matt look after application… It also doesn’t cause my already very oily skin to be oilier in Malacca’s hot weather so i don’t have to blot much before posing for pictures. In fact, i’m pretty impressed with its anti-shine ability~
4) Not sure whether if it is water-resistant as i have not subject it to water.. Closest will be SWEAT (haha) and i feel that the suncreen is rather long-lasting as most of the sunscreen are still ‘struggling’ to stay on my skin (despite the sweat and sebum secretion).
5) Since the sunscreen focuses on providing users with a dry touch, the sunscreen might be a little too drying if you have dry skin.. To prevent this, make sure that you apply enough moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
Overall, i love love love the texture of the sunscreen and how it works to keep my skin matt while keeping it protected at the same time.. I also did not suffer from sunburnt despite spending long hours walking under the hot sun! However, you have to do your part and reapply to ensure optimal protection.. To conclude, the Dry Touch Gel-Cream has met all the requirements of a perfect sunscreen and there’s a high chance that i will repurchase again when i finished this tube.
Also brought home 2 other items to try to they are the UVIDEA XL Melt in BB cream and Thermal Spring Water.
I have yet to try the BB cream but it looks promising as it suitable for sensitive skin and furthermore it contains Roche-Posay thermal spring.. Available in 2 shades, the BB cream is Fragrance-free, Paraben-free, Non-comedogenic and Hypoallergenic.
Since it contains enhanced anti-UVA filtration (PPD 18, thanks to the Mexoryl XL filtering system, which goes beyond PA+++ requirements), the BB cream will be suitable on lazy days whereby you requires a all-in-one product to help protect against UVA rays and covers up blemishes + even up skintone.
Was also given the Thermal Spring Water by La Roche-Posay and for the past 2 years, i’m a loyal user of the Thermal Spring water to set my makeup (No worries, it won’t smudge your makeup)… From time to time, i will use this to mask my face as well and i love how it soothes and soften my sensitive skin…
La Roche-Posay thermal spring water is scientifically proven to have soothing, softening and anti-oxidant properties due to the unique combination of minerals and trace elements. It is suitable for all (even babies) to help soothes sensitive skin irritated by external and helps prevent skin aging.
Thanks for reading! I will be back soon with more updates after my Malaysia trip..
BKT and Chicken Rice Balls, here i come!