Living in the tropics, the climate will tends to be hot with the sun showing no mercy! Hence, Protection against harsh UV rays is a major concern for most people. The sun will emit 2 types of UVR (UV rays) which are known as ultraviolet b (UVB) & ultraviolet a (UVA). Do you know that the sun’s ultraviolet b (UVB) rays causes sunburn and ultraviolet a (UVA) rays lead to photo-aging and skin cancer? UV exposure will also accelerate eye aging and triggers cataract (Not forgetting higher risks amongst other vision problems as well)… Therefore, for healthy and radiant skin, it is vital not to skip sunscreen in your daily skincare routine.. The function of a broad-spectrum sunscreen is to shelter your skin by absorbing these dangerous rays. This will prevent them from posing harm to your skin by penetrating deep into the skin layers.
It is widely understood that sunscreens are critical to protecting skin from the damaging effects of the sun. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, more than 90% of the visible changes commonly attributed to skin aging are caused by the sun. Inspired by this insight, Kiehl’s now offers a more advanced solution to sun protection – introducing the new and improved Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++ to help protect skin~
This improved ultra-lightweight formula employs a unique blend of sunscreen filters that now extend protection beyond short UVA rays to provide enhanced protection against the equally harmful long UVA rays that are more abundant and penetrate deeper into the skin. Combined with the antioxidant power of Vitamin E, the formula helps protect against all three forms of skin damaging UV rays that reach the earth’s surface .
Most of us are exposed to large amounts of UVA throughout our lifetime. In contrast to UVB rays that are more present in the summer and around noon, UVA radiation is present year round, from sunrise to sunset, and is 30 – 50 times more common . These ultraviolet rays are categorized by their wavelength:
– UVB rays are shorter than UVA ranging from 290 – 320 nanometers
– UVA rays are the longest, measuring 320 – 400 nanometers
UVA can be further divided into two wave ranges:
– Long UVA rays, which measure 340-400 nanometers
– Short UVA rays which extend from 320-340 nanometers .
Both long and short UVA rays can pass through clouds and glass to cause photoaging , which can appear as wrinkles, roughness, lack of elasticity or hyperpigmentation. However, long UVA rays extend much further, reaching and therefore damaging the deepest layers of the dermis.
In studies, the biological impact of long UVA rays has been revealed to bring significant oxidative stress that can lead to inflammation, tissue, and cellular damage. Such photo-oxidative stress can manifest visible skin aging, such as wrinkles, altered pigmentation, and loss of skin tone. Long UVA rays are also found to be capable of attacking collagen and elastin that are critical to providing the skin with youthful, structural support.”
Photoaging caused by long wavelength UVA rays will lead to damage on a number of levels. Firstly, they will cause the skin to quickly darken and appear dull. Long UVA rays also disrupt the skin’s immune function and damage the skin’s deeper vital structures, leading to skin that lacks firmness and elasticity, may appear more red and visibly wrinkled.
Despite of the danger of the UVA & UVB rays, exposure to sun is essential for life, provides warmth and has an anti depressive role. Moreover, with 10 mins ultraviolet b (UVB) exposure, it will promote Synthesis of Vit D3 within our body. This “sunshine Vitamin” is essential to improve bones’ health and maintain the body’s immunity against disorders. Hence, it is important to strike a balance by making sure that you engage in sun-protection while spending time under the sun (EVEN INDOORS AS WELL!)..
With an understanding of damage caused by long UVA rays, Kiehl’s chemists set out to enhance the protection of current broad-spectrum sunscreens with an advanced and unique combination of sun filters to defend the skin against the three forms of skin damaging UV rays that reach the earth’s surface.
“Kiehl’s Sun Filter System offers triple UV defense sun protection,” stated Dr. Geoff Genesky, Head of Kiehl’s Skincare Laboratory. “To achieve this, we formulated with a new and unique blend of Sunscreen Filters that includes Mexoryl SX™ and Mexoryl XL™ sun filters to protect against UVB, short UVA, and now enhances coverage in the long UVA range.”
As compared to the previous, the reformulated Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++ has extended protection against long UVA rays (With MEX-or-il*) which helps prevent against 90% of skin ageing & newly-added Rosa Gallica (A plant extract from the French Rose flower) will help soothe and calm skin. The formula is fragrance-free, oil-free, colorant-free, non-comedogenic, and provides all day hydration. This enhanced UV protection also features tried and true anti-oxidant Vitamin E for its skin conditioning benefits and ability to help protect skin from free radical damage.
*MEX-or-il – A new unique blend of sunscreen filters including Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL that extends protection to defend against the effects of long UVA rays.
After consumers experienced Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++, they reported on the following:
• 100% found that their skin looked younger
• 100% found that blemishes seemed soften and dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines less visible
• 100% found that the product left their skin comfortable
• 98% found that after application their skin had a matte finish
• 98% found that foundation could be easily applied
• 98% found their complexion looks more luminous
• 95% found their skin more moisturized and supple
• 93% found that it quickly absorbed on the skin
• 93% found that the product provides a fresh sensation when applying
For the month of April, Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA is also available in Jumbo, 60ml size! Limited edition and while stock last (Till end of April)
Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA is suitable to be used daily and it can be re-applied when needed. This gentle, non-greasy and lightweight lotion leaves skin with a matte finish while providing reinforced prevention against signs of premature skin aging. Beside using sunscreen, it is also just as important to use it correctly. Always apply sunscreen 20 minutes before you head out and use sufficient quantity for your face + neck. Also, pay attention to the expiry date and reapply after 2-4 hours if possible (especially if you sweat a lot!)
The Good & the Bad about Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++:
1) High SPF yet non-greasy. It has light creamy gel texture and it blends easily without leaving any white cast behind… It settles on the skin very fast (without weighing it down) while leaving a matte, dry & velvety finish. However, Dr Lim did mention to me that my skin is not suitable to use matte finish sunscreen (harder to remove) as i might not remove it properly (which results in clogged pores).. I’m certainly keeping my fingers crossed and doing my part to cleanse thoroughly~ So far so good!
2) Unscented so there’s no fragrance that will irritate my sensitive skin. In addition, it is oil-free, colorant-free, non-comedogenic. As it contains Rosa Gallica (A plant extract from the French Rose flower), the new formula will help soothe and calm skin on top of sun protection. If you have sensitive or sunburnt skin, the reformulated Ultra Light Daily UV Defense will help to address it!
3) The sunscreen seems to brighten up my skintone while giving my skin a matte look after application. The sunscreen is also not drying (which some matte finish sunscreen will be).
4) It is NOT water-resistant (only smudge resistant) so you have to touch up from time to time (especially if you sweat or engage inwater sports). This can be an issue as Singapore’s humidity is high.
Overall, the reformulated Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense does helps to make me stay discipline in using daily sun protection with its lightweight, skin brightening, matte finish, soothing, fast absorbent and non-greasy formula.
Thank you Jacelyn for bringing me along to this event and thank you for Kiehl’s for hosting us~
Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++ 30ml retails for S$52. Limited edition Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA++++ Jumbo 50ml retails for S$82 only available in April 2015.
Kiehl’s Since 1851 is available at:
Robinsons Raffles City t: 6338-3457 | VivoCity #01-11/12 t: 6376-9017 | TANGS Beauty at TANGS Orchard t: 6732-5394 | Metro Centrepoint Level 1 t: 6835-7675 *NEW | Tampines Mall #01-29 t: 6785-7610 | Takashimaya S.C., Ngee Ann City, #B1-33 t: 6732-9695 | ION Orchard #B3-54 T: 6509-8941 | Plaza Singapura #01-66 t: 6454-3457 | Parkway Parade #01-19 t: 6346-1276 | Bugis Junction #01-13 t:63369022| Great World City #01-16 t: 6735-3755 | Suntec City #01-321 t: 6336-9338 | Westgate Tower #01-32